January 19, 2014
Intro: I had a paper route when I was nine years old (75 papers)
(employed brother, penny a paper and coke at taste freeze)
• End of first month, time to collect… $2.20
• I was little nervous so Mom helped me
Hello, my name is Hance Dilbeck. I am your paper
Boy. I have come to collect for the Pawhuska Daily Journal Capital. It will be $2.20
• Old man answered, house full of people… Laughed!
t/s – Introduction involves two things…. (imagine your door)
a) Who are you
b) Why are you here
Chapter One ---- Who Jesus Is…
Word; Lamb; Messiah; Son of God; King of Israel; Son of Man
Chapter Two ---- Why has He Come…
Two Stories that introduce His Mission/Purpose
John 2: 1-11 (Read with Comment)
Vs. 3 What role did Mary play in wedding? Why run out of wine?
Was Mary informing or asking? What did she expect?
(none matter; so not addressed… simple story, simple point)
Vs. 4 “Hour” = an Internal Prolepsis (theme to be developed later)
• First time through, curiosity; second time… deep meaning.
• Hour = purpose/focus; death on cross & resurrection glory
Vs. 7 “Brim” = speaks to abundance/fullness
Vs. 11 “Signs” = miracles with a meaning… help reveal Jesus
(Meaning will be developed in chapter 3 --- Power)
Tell Story of John 2: 12-17 (speaks to Authority)
• Jesus entered noisy Outer court during Passover
• He took charge… cleared out the place of Worship
Read John 2: 18-22
Vs. 18 “Who do you think you are?” You have no right to take charge
Jesus is the Messiah. Why did He Come?
Jesus Comes with the Power to Change the Way You Live.
Exp – More next week with chapter three; but for now…
• As wine is to water; so is the Jesus Life to your old life!
• He comes to fill our lives to the Brim
• The Miracle reveals His Glory; His Power to bring about this change!
Ill – Our lives are like the Wedding feast… Trying, but empty.
Jesus fills us up with something better!
App – People who like things the way they are; reject Jesus.
People who long for a better, richer way of life, embrace Him.
Jesus Comes with Authority to Change the Way You Worship
Exp – The Temple Cleansing was a Claim of Authority. I am the Lord of the Temple. The Leaders Knew it… and questioned Jesus
• I am here to set your worship right…
• His Body is the Temple…
a) Presence of God among men (1:14)
I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty
And the Lamb are its Temple!
Chapter 4… Samaritan woman… Worship in spirit and Truth.
Ill – Imagine Jesus observing your worship over the past years.
(Just watching, listening… Would He be pleased?)
App – We want Jesus to Rule over our Worship!
To clear out every distraction, deception or disposition…
T/S – One more vital revelation about Why Jesus Came (mission)
Jesus Came to Bring Change through His Death & Resurrection
Exp – Jesus began with His End in Mind. All along His journey, He knows His destination is the Cross and Resurrection.
Vs. 4 – My Hour
Vs. 19 – Destroy and Raise == Death and Resurrection!
The Focus of Jesus’ work is Calvary!
Ill – Artist, Homan Hunt has captured this reality on canvass
• Jesus working in Carpenter’s shop while Mary watches.
• He has set his tools aside to take a break… looking out a window into the afternoon sun…He stretches himself
• The sun coming through the window casts a shadow of a cross on the carpenter shop’s wall!
App – All of Jesus Life moves toward that Hour!
His Focus… Our Focus.
Our Worship and our Lives are Changed by the Power
of the Cross.
The Word of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power
of God. 1 Cor. 1:18
Down at the Cross where my Savior died,
Down where for cleansing from sin I cried;
There to my heart was the blood applied,
Glory to His Name!