January 12, 2014
Intro: If you want to put roots down deeper into the Word of God,
The Gospel of John is the best place to start…
John 1: 35-46
John begins to describe Discipleship --- what it means to be a Christian. He introduces foundational vocabulary by using it in a very subtle, natural way.
• Follow – The two followed Jesus… (37, 38, 40, 43)
At first it seems to be simply practical, physical…
Vs. vs. 43 – “Follow Me” is the call of Jesus
A Christian, a Disciple is a Jesus Follower
• STAYED = (vs. 38b-39...triple repetition seems unusual)
“Stay” = meno…. To Remain of Abide
The Key word in Jesus’ central discourse on Discipleship in John 15!
A Christian, a Disciple Abides in Jesus.
* Witness Vocabulary; Disciples testify about Jesus….
John said, “Open you eyes and see Jesus”
Andrew found his brother & brought Simon to Jesus
Philip was a hometown friend of Andrew & Simon
Philip found Nathaniel and testified…
Repeated Invitation… Come and See; Come and See…
Disciples Witness. Testify about Jesus and Invite others to Him.
Remarkable, not that disciples were such natural, vocal, active witnesses; but that we are so often silent.
A Time to Plant == Challenge to share Good News with neighbors
Be Enthusiastic about Who Jesus Is.
Be Burdened for the People Closest to you.
Be Clear about Your Role.
T/S – Disciples Follow Jesus; Abide in Jesus; and Witness of Jesus.
These Discipleship themes will surface again in John. The focus of our text, however, is Jesus. John is still introducing Jesus to us.
“Jesus” is used 7 times in this text… 12 verses.
ν The Lamb of God
ν Rabbi, Master Teacher
ν Messiah, the Christ, the Anointed One… Savior/King
ν The One of Whom Moses and Prophets wrote
ν Son of God; King of Israel; Son of Man
These things I have written so that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you might have life in His Name. (John 20:31)
• John will explain, flesh out, this introduction to Jesus through His deeds and His Words… More to come…
There is one part of our text that is unique. I want to close by bringing it to your attention --- bringing it into focus.
Did you notice the first words Jesus speaks in John’s gospel?
“What do you seek?” (vs. 38)
• Search, expectation… What do you Expect from Me? What do you Want? What are you looking for in life?
People are always searching for something….. Often confused.
I’ll find what I am looking for is I can just….
• Get away from home; Get back home
• Find a good mate; get rid of this mate
• Rise to significant responsible position; shed responsibility
• Find meaningful Work; Find a way to early retirement
t/s–What a powerful, clarifying question….What are you looking for?
Everything you want that really matters will be found in Jesus
• Forgiveness – He is Lamb of God
• Truth – He is the Master Teacher
• Rescue from destruction – He is Savior
• Life change – He Gives you a new name, new nature
The only End that will satisfy your search is JESUS.