May 18, 2014
Ill Caleb School Physical Assessment Night
Waited in line for hours answering a myriad of questions and tests. It all boiled down to one big question for us...Can my son participate?
There are bigger and smaller questions in life:
• Where should we eat for lunch today?
• What color should my car be?
• What should I study or make of my life's work?
• If I marry, who should I marry?
To the biggest, that we will discover today!
In today's account, I count at least a dozen questions. They all hover around and build to the most important question. Many questions revolve around Jesus and about Jesus, but I am interested in the question from Jesus.
Setting in Jerusalem by the pool of Siloam. Jesus had recently been threatened by stoning by the Pharisees.
• John 9:1-7
Blind man seen
Question of sin
• Sometimes we are impacted by sin, but this was assumed in their day-Whose sin caused this?
• Sometimes not because of sin: Paul and Job
Could we all have the heart of Job who cries out:
He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God. (Job 1:21, 22 NASB)
Job 13:15 though He slay me I will hope in Him.
• Here it is not because of his sin but so the Glory of the power of God can be displayed.
Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world." (John 9: 3-5 NASB)"
• Time to work "we must work the works..."
• Makes clay
• Wash in Pool built by King Hezekiah.
ILL-ceiling fan dust in eyes
• Healed him-the light of the world, physically for this man.
• John 9:8-12
Neighbors confusion about the man and Jesus.
Isn't this the blind beggar? Not sure
How were your eyes opened?
Where is Jesus?
• John 9:13-17
Pharisee's confusion about the man and who Jesus is
• One group argued not being from God because of sabbath breaking
• Other group arguing about his sinfulness while being able to do miracles.
• John 9:18-23
Pharisees question the parents:
Is this your son? Was he blind? How does he see?
Parents are intimidated by religious rulers and defer to son. The Jews had already agreed that if anyone confessed Him to be Christ, he was to be put out of the synagogue. (John 9:22 NASB)
• John 9:24-34 READ
Matthew 11:1-5 John sends his disciples to ask about Jesus:
5 the BLIND RECEIVE SIGHT and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the POOR HAVE THE GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM
Isaiah 42:6-7 light from dungeon!
"I am the Lord, I have called You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You, And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people, As a light to the nations, To open blind eyes, To bring out prisoners from the dungeon And those who dwell in darkness from the prison. (Isaiah 42:6, 7 NASB)
Nicodemus as a Pharisee understood as we saw back in chapter 3:
Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." (John 3:1, 2 NASB)
• John 9:35-41 READ
• The blind man was the first known person thrown out of the synagogue for following Christ.
• Matthew 10:32-33 better than thrown from heaven!
"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32, 33)
End-this account embodies the case that John was laying from the beginning!
• John 9:5 "I am the light of the world."
• John 1:4, 5, 9-13
• In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:4, 5, 9-13 NASB)
The big question!
1. Do you believe in the son of man? Who is Jesus to you?
John 20:30-31 the point of John's Gospel
Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name. (John 20:30, 31 NASB)
• Especially those who will not see:
Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed." (John 20:29 NASB)
2. Do you worship him? V 38
Do you find yourself today in worship struggling to focus on Jesus? Are you worshipping him here today?
3. Are you working while it is light for him? V4
You see the question is not:
What did they do to get themselves in this situation?
But Lord how can I serve You by shining the light here?
ILL Fanny Crosby
Read lyrics. "Redeemed how I love to proclaim it"
Redeemed how I love to proclaim it redeemed by the blood of the lamb
Redeemed through His infinite mercy his child and forever I am
Redeemed and so happy in Jesus no language my rapture can tell
I know that the light of his presence with me doth continually dwell
I know I shall see in his beauty the king in whose law I delight
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps and giveth me songs in the night.
She believed in Jesus and lived it.
Do you believe in the Son of God?
Do you worship Him in a simple grateful way?
Do you serve Him, working while it is day?