June 15, 2014
Genesis 1; Proverbs
Intro: 25 years ago I led a young man to Jesus. He was 19 and had
Already had a baby, married, and filed bankruptcy. He had no
Idea how to be a husband and being a father scared him to death. I think he was afraid he would be as bad as his own. So, afraid of family life, he was avoiding it. He spent a lot of time on the lake, fishing.
- Jesus changed the way that man related to his family. Not all sudden change: steady improvement as he found models in church and motive in his new heart.
- Today, he is celebrating with his family;
- Jesus is the Maker of Men.
T/S – Mother’s Day I preach a sermon from Genesis 1 calling Mothers
to embrace Motherhood as God’s Good & Purposeful Creation.
The Same should be said for Fathers
Genesis 1: 26-28, 31
God created Fatherhood --- desired, designed; made and mandated!
- Not a biological fluke, a social construct to control men; an economic arrangement past its prime and purpose
Fatherhood Is Purposeful
Raising children to do the LORD’s Work
“Like arrows in the hands of a warrior; so are the children…”
Fatherhood is Good
Raising Children is Good
Being Married is Good
Being Male is Good
- Gender is God-given, essential aspect of your humanity. It is not imposed on you from society; Given by God.
T/S – Confusion about being a man; more about father….
ILL – Cultural Ideas expressed in Four Photos… a change
Generations of men have spent more time with these men;
Influenced more profoundly, than by their own fathers.
* Andy Taylor; Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable; Homer Simpson;
Phil Dunfy (trying to be cool… goofy)
1 Kings 2: 1-2
T/S – What does it mean to Be a Man?
At Best, Goofy but Loveable.
At Worst, Adolescent, Absent, Angry…
t/s – a few years ago, while studying Proverbs, I wrote down…
Four Characteristics of Manhood…. Fatherhood Factors.
Exp – One stands firm in core convictions about behavior; right/wrong
David, “Walk in the way the LORD has set before us.”
Like a trampled spring and a polluted well;
Is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked. (25:26)
Promise Keepers – Calling men to a consistency of life.
(Covenant Keeping is strength of Moral Integrity)
App – Does your family know that you will be consistent in certain
Core convictions… Loyalty; Honesty; Purity; Compassion??
Exp – Men must be master of their own emotions.
- Several decades challenging men to “Get in touch with their emotions; or share their feelings.”
- YES… Understand your emotions; Embrace them and Express them; but do not be ruled by them
Like a city that is broken into and without walls;
So is the man who has no control over his won spirit. (25:28)
App – Fear (courage); Discouragement (diligence); Anger (peace)
Exp – NOT, wealth… Too many men neglect family in pursuit of…
Responsibility that provides Security for family.
- Diligence in Work and Discipline in Spending
ILL – In mall this afternoon, every one tugging a mom’s purse
Sons; Daughters; Dads…
App – Men… Be the Responsible Party when it comes to Finances.
Handle your family’s money as the LORD’s steward!
T/S – I have the privilege of standing by the casket of many men
As wives, sons and daughters gather to lay them in grave.
“He was our Rock.”
(Responsible; Stable; Consistent… He showed himself a man!)
Exp – Much confusion, men often hesitate because they think to
Be the spiritual leader; they must be the most spiritual.
Think of Adam in Gen. 3; --- and do the opposite!
- Direction; Protection and INITIATIVE
Let’s pray together; Get everything together, we are going to church; Don’t you thin we should honor God with our finances; Turn that TV show Off; ….
- Don’t force your wives or children to Lead in spiritual matters --- worship; prayer; service; study; discipleship
Rise Up O Men of God! Have done with lesser things;
Give heart and mind and soul and strength to serve the King of kings
Conclusion Zehariah’s vision chapter 3)
Do you remember Joshua, priest, standing before the LORD, filfthy?
- Beside him, Satan, accusing him… you are not qualified!
- The LORD Rebuked Satan; “a brand plucked from the fire”
- Took away Joshua’s dirty clothes and dressed him with new priestly robes!
Jesus Is the Maker of Men