Sermon Notes February 13, 2011
Intro: Paul was arrested in Jerusalem and sent bound to Rome.
Before he ever entered the city, he was warned …….A Prophet
- Paul’s belt, bound himself hand & feet; laying there on the ground, “In this manner the Jews in Jerusalem with bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him to the gentiles
- Agabus – Locust (My imagination runs wild)
Prophecy = A Message spoken under the inspiration of the
Holy Spirit for the direction and edification of the
Church. On rare occasions….Future!
t/s – Agabus used by Spirit to give direction concerning future
— Not the first time he appears and speaks of future
— Agabus first appears in ANTIOCH. (Acts 11)
Review: Trust Jesus to Build His Church.
Speak of Jesus…Everyone, Everywhere, Anyone
Spend Time Together: Encourage & Teach the Word
Acts 11: 27-30
Give Generously Together
When the book of Acts records the work of God in the Church,
It consistently records their generosity… Gave their Money
- Jerusalem (Acts 2) – Church is born… 7 verses…Money
- Antioch – Entire paragraph about this act of Generosity!
Great Churches are Generous Churches!
ILL – Churck Swindoll’s story about Preacher in deep south
- The church, like the crippled man, must get up and walk!
— That’s right revered, let it walk.
- This church, like Elijah on Mt. Carmel, has got to run!
— Run, let it run, preacher, let it run.
- Church has got to mount up on wings like eagles and fly
— Let it fly, brother, let it fly!
- If this church is gonna fly, it’s gonna take Money!
— Long silence…. Let it walk, preacher, let it walk
t/s – I told that silly, funny story; and you laughed… a Nervous Tension rises when the preaches talks about Money.
- Some preacher have distorted the Bible, manipulated
- To preach & Teach the Bible…. Talk about Money
n The Law speaks often about Giving
n The Proverbs contain a constant theme
n The Prophets condemn greed and call for Tithing
n Jesus talked as much about Money as anything
Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also!
n Cannot tell the Story of Antioch without talking about their remarkable Generosity!
Give Generously Together
Acts 11:29 A condensed doctrine of Giving!
How to Give (Run through Quickly)
Personal Any & Each…. Note: vs. 30 ….Corporate
— Paul & Barnabas did not tell them what to give
Proportional To the degree that each had means
— socio-economic diversity — All gave their part
Planned “Determine” == Appointed…To set Boundaries
— Not knee jerk, spare change,… Careful & thoughtful
Prayerful Planned & Prayerful coexist…. Vs. 28 – “By the Spirit”
ILL – Joe Gorley, my first Mentor in Ministry…
- Many aspects of my approach forged in early years.
- This is Paul’s first encounter with Generous Giving…
… Later instructions reflect the Antioch Experience
1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 9:7
App – With our Giving, we want to follow the Pattern of Antioch.
— Each of us Pray and plan to give as God has Prospered us.
T/S – The power of this paragraph about the Generosity of Antioch
Comes not from their Methods, but their Motives…
WHY We Give Generously Together
We Give as an Act of Obedience
Exp – Vs. 28 – “Stood Up” == A setting of Congregational Worship
- God Spoke to them about the need in Jerusalem.
They Acted in Obedience
- Giving Money is a spiritual discipline through which we learn to listen to the Spirit and Act with tangible Obedience!
We Give from a Desire to Serve
Exp – “Relief” (vs. 29) == Service… This our word Deacon.
They were motivated to Give because they wanted to Serve.
- Impact the Lives of People!
We Give as an Expression of Fellowship
Exp – Give… To the dwelling in Judea Brothers
These Gentiles, yet to be fully embraced by Jerusalem, committed to give their money because of their deep sense of connection, spiritual relationship, common bond.
Note: Plenty of Poverty in Antioch!
Famines were across Empire….. Why Jerusalem?!
Fellowship with One Another Giving Together
Fellowship with Church in Judea
Conclusion This is Odd Behavior…. Extraordinary.
Jesus Is Real to These People!!