“True Love” 1 John 3: 16-18
Sermon Notes 09-04-11am
Intro: Tell the story of Luke 10: 25-37
- Go and DO the same!
Love is taking action, form a heart of compassion to help another person, even if it requires personal sacrifice.
Love is acting in another person’s interest (as yourself)
t/s – Old John never forgot this lesson taught by Jesus.
The Indisputable Marks of the Disciple of Jesus (Assurance)
- Embrace the Truth concerning Jesus & Myself
- Live Right, pure, like Jesus
Our text today, John expands upon his call to live with love.
His teaching is a clear echo of the teaching of Jesus!
1 John 3: 16-18
We Make Common Mistakes Living the Law of Love
Focus on Words and Feelings but Fail to Act!
Exp – John describes Christian Love as a call to Action.
Vs. 16 – “Lay down life” == personal sacrifice
Vs. 17 – More than tender feelings…
Vs. 18 – True Love takes Action!
Ill – When I was a young minister… “No Cash to Church!”
Fast forward 25 years…in parking lot near here.
- I felt compassion… “No I can’t help. See that steeple.”
- I close my heart against him! (No Trust, No Cash…)
- Studying 1 John… Like a knife…
I would rather be taken advantage of!
App – People do not care about our words, feelings…Deeds!
Validate our Gospel witness through relevant social ministry
- Apartments; Benevolence; CP work; Whiz Kids…
- Not only corporately, but also Personally!
Focus on Loving the Brethren, but Fail to Love the Brother
Exp – The transition from plural (vs. 16) to singular (17) is deliberate and significant!
- From theory to practice; fantasy to reality;
We are called to lay down our lives for Real People.
ILL – Olga Wetzel tells the story of a bus ride from Flagstaff to Albuquerque years ago. She had taken a semester off college
In Wisconsin to teach at an Indian Mission school. Learned of the challenges of native American teenagers on reservations
- 14 year old boy got on bus. Warm on cold night…Sleep!
- Tardy Oxcard, Swindoll, p. 107
- Ten minutes passed. Tap on shoulder, reverent voice, “Ma’am, Are you a Christian?”
App – “Brothers & Sisters” places emphasis on the People we Know!
Not People in general, not even so much strangers…
- Who do you know, right now, that you could help!
Trying to Give a Love that We Have Never Received
Exp – Vs. 16 – Our love is a reflection of His love for Us…Lay down Life is a clear reference to the Cross!
“We Know” = Not Theory, but personal experience.
Perfect tense… we have come to know for ourselves!
Through Jesus, we have personally experienced this Kind of Love; and, we have never gotten over it!
Vs. 17 – this Love ABIDES in us!
He Laid Down His Life FOR US… FOR YOU!
- Truth about Jesus; Truth about ME.
- Not just talk, but Action; Not only for World, For ME!
App – Have you ever Experienced for Yourself His Love?
Concl: When that short-sighted young man asked me for help in the parking lot, I should have thought to myself..
I know what it is like to be in Need and at Fault… And Loved!