Sermon Notes April 13, 2011
Mark 15: 16-21
Intro: In High School… East Indian Kid moved to Town (hotel)
Why do people ridicule another… Make fun of them…Tease?
- Ignorant of them…don’t understand
t/s – Jesus Is Mocked (part of His prediction)
Mark 15: 16-20
Mark’s brevity brings a special Emphasis to everything he
Records….. considered essential to the account…
1) The Reaction Against Jesus (Ignorance, Envy, Insecurity)
2) The Revelation About Jesus (Irony)… King!
3) The Connection to Jesus…for Christians in Rome…Mocked!
T/S – Another Unexpected Detail…. Why Essential/important?
Vs. 21 – Simon of Cyrene
1) Mark’s Roman Connection
Romans 16:13 – Simon, Rufus and Alexander were known
2) Mark reveals his Eye-Witness Source
3) An Example of Christian Cross-Bearing
Mark 8:34 — Would you have carried His Cross?
Why not Now? Why not share His suffering?
4) Jesus Really Suffered!
n Docetism – “Seem” – Jesus only seemed to have body.
n Jesus only seemed to suffer and die on Cross!
n Ignatius (Antioch) – wrote against Docetism in 110 AD
“O Love Divine, What Hast Thou Done” Charles Wesley