Sermon Notes 07-10-11pm
1 John 1: 3-7
Intro: “Search for the Historical Jesus” (modern scholarship)
- Reject the NT revelation!…. Who was Jesus, Really!
- Nothing New…. John dealt with false teachers trying to reject the Apostolic witness and Re-define Jesus
- “I am proclaiming what was from the beginning!”
t/s – what a Treasure we find in this little book!
Written that we might KNOW….
1 John 1: 3-7
Two Key Indicators of Spiritual Condition… Marks of New Life
Exp – John uses the metaphor of Light & Darkness in a beautiful way.
“Light” = Revelation…. “Manifested”… Shows us the Truth.
“Light” = Purification… “Darkness” == Sin
Since God is Light, to walk with God is to Walk in the Light.
“Walk” == Our Pattern of Life…. Character and behavior
- Not perfection, but Pattern…. We still need the Blood!
- Not only past (justification), but present (sanctification)
Matthew 7: 17-20 === No beating around the Bush!
App – Much more about this in future study of 1 John (next week)
One clear indication of New Life is New Life!
T/S – The focus here is on another indicator…. First….
ILL – Call Four men to come to me….
Note: Coming to me….they come to each other…
… Pull Away form me….. Away form each other!
Exp – “Fellowship” is an important word in NT… 20 times; 4 here!
- Sharing, Communion, Participation
A theological reality
A practical reality
Note: Our Buildings…. Common Areas & Fellowship Hall
Vs. 7 – Assymetrical construction… Not what we Expect!
- We expect, “…we have fellowship with Him”
- One Another!
ILL – Barometer….measure atmospheric pressure…
…forecast a change in the weather
App – As Pastor, Fellowship is a Barometer of Spiritual condition!
He who separates himself seeks his own desire…
When one fails to engage…. Or pulls away from the church,
From Christian Fellowship… something is changing in her
The Gospel is the Good News of Fellowship…Meaningful, Relationships….
- Fellowship with God
- Fellowship with Other People
Sin Alienates… Adam from Eve
(Naked & unashamed… Hidden and blaming)
Cain from Abel!
The CROSS…Vertical and Horizontal… Reconciliation..Fellowship!