Sermon Notes 10-02-11am
1 John 5: 5-12
Intro: Tell the story of Jesus at feast of the booths (John 7)
- Water poured out as act of memory & worship for provision during the wilderness wanderings.
If anyone is Thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! (Then,
Referring to the Holy Spirit He would give) He who believes in Me, from his innermost being will flow rivers of Living Water!
Imagine the response to such an Audacious claim!
Not Moses…ME! Come to Me and Drink!
Division of People….
a) This is the One Coming…Messiah… Rejoice & Receive
b) This is a Man from Nazereth… “Get the Rope!”
T/S – His Bold Claim forced to the forefront the Central Question
To You, Who Is Jesus?
Background for our Text today…
1 John 5: 5-12
- Most Difficult paragraph in 1 John (value of vs. by vs.)
n Textual difficulties (vs. 8 variations)
n Confusing … clearly a common understanding
n CLEAR – John makes a Bold Claim that Many
People find offensive… Avoid!
(God Is Love)
Key Word = “Testimony” used Nine times (verb or noun)
John knows that He is making a bold, controversial claim concerning Jesus Christ, claim rejected by many; so he supports it with testimony.
1st – The Claim (11-12)
2nd – The Testimony (Witnesses)…Evidence
John’s Dramatic, Controversial, Claim Concerning Jesus.(11-12)
1) Eternal Life Is a Gift from God, not what we Earn/Deserve.
2) We Have Eternal Life NOW, but just in the Future.
3) Eternal Life comes Only through Jesus Christ.
n Unique Person of Jesus
n Exclusive Path through Jesus
With this claim John confronts both our Pride and our Pluralism!
T/S – Maybe John could say this, My grandfather could believe it;
But in our modern world…. This Is Offensive!
- Philosophically, Politically, Socially Unacceptable!
- Watch our Presidential Candidates Squirm…Avoid
Why Do you think John is Introducing Witnesses?!
This Claim concerning Jesus was Offensive and Unacceptable from the Beginning!
- Jesus – Who Do you think You Are?!
- John – Banished to Patmos Island
Cerithus was gathering followers in Asia by making this Jesus stuff more palatable to the philosophical, social and political realities of the first century Roman Empire.
- Jesus was just a man. Spirit of “Christ” came on him at baptism and left before Cross.
- Mission was not redemptive, prophetic… Educational!
- Popular…. Fits Pluralism & Feeds Pride
John refused to compromise, to make the Gospel more palatable.
Vs. 5-6a = a rejection of a compromised Christology
“One Who Came” = Messianic and Pre-existence/Incarnation
“Water” = Baptism
“Blood” = Cross (emphasis on Text…. Not only Baptism)
More than the execution of a teacher from Galilee…
Atonement…. “On which the Prince of Glory Died!”
John’s Introduces Three Witnesses (7-9)
ILL – Court TV
Jesus is On Trial…. Is He the Unique Son of God (only Way)
John is Defense Attorney
God Provides the Witnesses… Three (Deuteronomy)
You are the Jury…. You Must Decide…Reach a Verdict
The Water = Jesus’ Baptism
- This Is My Beloved Son!
- John the Baptist….. This Is the Son of God!
The Blood = The Cross (Consider the Cross)
- The Composure of Christ (Thief, mother Mary, Finished!)
- The Conditions around (sky darkened, earth shaken, tombs opened)
- The Centurion’s Testimony, watching Jesus Lay down His life… “Surely, this Is the Son of God!”
The Holy Spirit
- The Spirit of God
- The Spirit of Truth
- The Spirit Within (10)
Even now, the Holy Spirit of God bears Witness to your Spirit, that Jesus is the Son of God, the only Savior of Mankind.
Will you have ears to Hear?
ILL – Our oldest son walked forward one Sunday Evening,
Unprompted by us…
Why have you come?
When you were preaching about Jesus, I felt like I was the only
Person in the room; and my stomach kind of hurt!
When Peter preached in Jerusalem, They were pierced in their Hearts.
Even this morning, The Holy Spirit Testifies!