Sermon Notes May 22, 2011
Psalm 127: 1-2
Intro: When our first born turned 5, I felt obligated to Coach T Ball
- First batter, first game….dropped bat and ran to 3rd base!
- We Assumed he knew!
T/S – Psalm 127 – 128 — Assumed Truths about life that
Provide foundation for Family.
- Family Is the Arena for Our Faith.
- Trying to build Family without the LORD is Vain.
- Grabbing and Guarding for Ourselves…. (self-reliance)
n Destructive Self-Interest
- Life is a Jungle…Be Strong, Stand up for Yourself, Take what you deserve, look out for #1, survival of fittest!
T/S – Is there a better way to Understand our Life? …To Live?
Is that what the Bible teaches us, Really, a Jungle?
- The Father Is Working FOR Your Family.
- Wouldn’t that be Great!
- Say it out Loud!
n Anxiety replaced with Peace
n Aggression fades as we can drop our Guard
n Free from Self-Interest to Give preference to one another!
Psalm 127: 1-2
The LORD Builds, the LORD Guards, the LORD Gives…
The Bible teaches us to Assume that the LORD is Aware of our needs, present with us and Working for us…
Are you Living like you believe that?
Providence The continuing activity of God by which He preserves
and sustains Creation; guiding it to His intended purpose.
God sees the way before us and looks after us as we
Seek to walk in it.
Sustaining and Directing
Biblical World View 101 — God’s Providence.
ILL – 20 years ago, I was the Pastor of a small church…
..teenage girl wanted to sing… cassette tape…
#1 – Song of 1991, Grammy for Song of the Year
Bette Midler, “From a Distance”
God is watching us…From a Distance!
God is slightly aware, but basically not Involved!
App – You better look out for yourself, because God is not really
Paying much attention!
How Do You View Life? (Worldview Impacts your Family)
“It’s a Jungle Out There”
“This Is My Father’s World”
Anxiety or Thanksgiving; Aggression or Kindness;
Looking our for Yourself or Giving Preference to Others
The Father Is Working FOR Your Family.
ILL – Tonight, honor 63 couples…50+ years… God Helped Us!
- Not moment of Crisis, but long perspective…
Do you live like you Trust the LORD to Build, Guard & Give?
But Preacher, Our Family is falling apart; under attack; suffered Loss.
- How can we know that God really is present and active in the world, working to accomplish His good purpose?
- One Word…. JESUS.
God is not absent, unaware, passive. He is present, passionate, Active on Our Behalf… This Is a Truth that Sets us Free to be Family.