Intro: When my brother and sister and I were in trouble, argument…
Sit in chairs facing each other… Not one word/sound.
- Seemed like forever/hours….five minutes…remember the relief when finally we could speak freely, unhindered!
t/s – “Unhindered” is the last word in the book of Acts… the story of
the Good News of Jesus spreading Unhindered. Political,
Social, Racial, Legal, Religious boundaries and Barriers All
Failed to Stop the Message of Jesus from Spreading
- Only Hindrance is the Silence of the Church!
T/S – One example of the Good News Unhindered is Antioch.
Review: Antioch born on Accident…3rd largest city…Key!
Trust Jesus to Build His Church!
n Follow Jesus; attempting more than we can do.
Speak of Jesus
This story is marked by the beauty of Simplicity.
One Simple Sentence… a few phrases to clarify.
Everyone who knows Jesus, Speak of Jesus (20)
Exp – Did you happen to catch the names of the people who
Started the Church in Antioch, who led in the evangelization
of the gentile community? No Names!
Simple people with a Simple Approach
vs. 19 – Speaking the word
vs. 20 – “They began speaking to Gentiles”
vs. 20 – “preaching the Lord Jesus” == Good Newsing!
n Not preaching a sermon, glad tidings!
Ill – Last Sunday night….electrical issue…nobody came to me!
- I am a layman in that field…not a professional.
App – YOU. If you know Jesus…Speak of Him! (Last time?)
Everyone who knows Jesus, Speak of Jesus Everywhere you go.
Exp – If any group ever had good reason to remain silent, our nameless friends in Antioch:
- Scattered from home by Persecution (stoning)
- Large city marked by idolatry & immorality
- Boundaries, Barriers to Gospel universally respected.
Even in Antioch, They spoke Up!
Assumed they were there for a Purpose…No surprise to God.
Ill – The first adult man I ever witnessed to…knocked on his door
By accident…. I will probably never find this place again!
App – God has placed you where He has you to be His Witness!
Like Joseph in Egypt, Daniel in Babylon… Speak up!
n Point in the direction of your home, work or school!
n We are a Net!
Speak of Jesus to Anyone who will Listen.
Exp – At Antioch, they began speaking to greeks also…Boundaries.
- Racial, socio-economic, Age,…Morality, Family…
Oh, they would never be interest, open, connect…
- Instead of Messiah… Lord… Easier to understand!
(made the Gospel more accessible!)
App – It is not your Power, Personality, Persuasion that opens the door
Vs. 21 – The hand of the Lord was with them….
The Way we experience the power of Go!
T/S – The Church at Antioch was born with a Passion to speak to
People about Jesus….Carried beyond Antioch (chpt. 13)
Two Positive Impacts
1) More people come to know Jesus (notice emphasis on #’s)
Vss. 21, 24 & 26
2) Protects the Church from Pettiness
ILL – Recent group travelled to Southern Asia…Expensive!
n Not a Pleasant Experience
Hectic travel; difficult to communicate;
Rough accommodations; suffercating smells;
Meals; situation that were uncomfortable…
Host == two on back of scooter..
n Remarkable….No Complaints!
n Why? They were on Mission…Not about their comfort, their needs, their preferences…Gospel!
App – Passion for Evangelism foster unity, enhances worship,
Protects us from Pettiness born of self-centeredness
Conclusion: Oh How We Need this Passion to Speak of Jesus
Everyone of us, Speak of Jesus wherever we go
To whoever will listen!
Why Not? Why so often Silent?
Core Conviction at Antioch — Jesus Is the Lord (Vss. 20, 21, 21)
He Has a Claim on Every Person We Meet
- Rightful (Without Him all are in Rebellion)
- Exclusive (Without Him Deceived…No other way)
- Gracious (Without Him, Lost)
They kept Speaking about Jesus because they were convince that Jesus Is the Lord! Most of You are not so sure… (By every survey today)
Tell the Story of Four Lepers (2 Kings 6-7)
King of Syrians/Arameans besieged Samaria (of Israel)
- Severe shortage of food!
- Elisha promised an end of the Seige….King doubted.
- God caused the Syrian Army to hear the sound of chariots and horses…attacking army…. “Mercenaries from Egypt!”
- The fled in the night…left camp fully provisioned!
In the Meantime….
- Four lepers at the gate of Samaria…Starving/Desperate
- Stay hear & Die; Enter City and Die…. Go to the Enemy camp…Probably Die, but maybe they will let us live (So your saying there’s a chance!)
- Enter a tent at the edge of camp… No People…Full of food, gold, silver and clothes….Ate, took & hid.
- Return and Repeat….
- We are not doing right. This day is a day of good news, but we are keeping silent.
- They went back to Samaria and spread the Good News!
When you have Good News and keep silent, you are not doing right!